No escaping the new “Magnificent 7” for Trumpby Raffaele Nappi - 2016.10.14
Against Trump, after the women, now the new “magnificent 7” have arrived. Not from the famous film. But those who have just won the Nobel 2016 made in USA. Who, with Bob Dylan, the last to receive the award, appear to the New York billionaire, as immigrants or sons of immigrants. Here they are:
1) Bob Dylan, born in USA of immigrant Jewish Parents from Eastern Europe, won the Nobel for Literature for having “created a new poetic expression for traditional, great American music”.
2)Sir J. Fraser Stoddart, Scottish, naturalized American citizen (of NorthwesternUniversity of Evanston, Illinois) received the Nobel in Chemistry, thanks to the study and projection of molecular machines that are able to “bring the discipline to a new dimension”.
3) Duncan Haldane, emigrated years ago from Great Britain, won the Nobel in Physics. Today he lives and teaches at Princeton University.
4) David Thouless, emigrated from Scotland, won the Nobel for Physics. Today, he is full professor at the University of Seattle.
5) Michael Kosterlitz, together with Thouless and Haldane, won the Nobel for Physics. Kosterlitz was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, of a family of Jewish refugees during WWII. Today, he teaches at BrownUniversity, a Providence, Rhode Island.
6) Bengt Holmstrom, originally from Finland, won Nobel for Economics. Today, he teaches courses on his theory of contracts at MIT.
7) Oliver Hart, British, shared with Holmstrom the Nobel for Economics. Lives in Lexington, Kentucky, and teaches at Harvard.
It’s true that a candidate to the White House can be ignorant of some facts about his country’s history. But before accusing immigrants of being thieves and violent criminals, Trump, or at least his advisors, should have taken a look at the publication of National Foundation for American Policy. According to which, just taking into consideration winners from the year 2000 on, of 78 American Nobel winners, 31 (more than 40 %) are those immigrants. End of story.
Now millionaires also number among the immigrants
That the number of immigrants is growing in relative terms is a given. However, until recently, we did not know that this growth also extended to the high earners of the world. A new trend analysed and described in the recent brilliant paper “Millionaire Emigration” by the Migration Policy Institute Read More.
How the children of immigrants gain citizenship
Italy: Law No. 91 of 5 February 1992, modifying in part the regulation on the means of the granting of citizenship in force since 1912, has confirmed that the children of immigrants born in Italy do not automatically acquire civil status. This is only the case if it is requested Read More.
Another route to achieve ius soli
In politics as in life, something good may just come out of something bad. On the condition, however, that one has the intelligence and the will to turn things around as needed. As in the case of the tragic calendar deferment decided yesterday by the Senate (already voted by the Read More.
Five curious statistics about legal immigrants in the USA
Out of 44.7 million immigrants in the USA, as many as 33.8 million are legal. The Pew Research Center has just brought to light some facts about legal immigrants in the U.S. on occasion of Trump’s very recent announcement of his super-reforms for managing the arrival of foreigners in the Read More.
The U.S. grants citizenship to those who don’t know English
More than 30% of American citizens of immigrant origins in the U.S. do not know how to either read or write in English. Which often creates and obstacle to social and economic integration. At least, this is the snapshot that has recently emerged in the last report of the Center Read More.
Britain’s “May Plan” targets immigrants, including those from Italy
While Italy is divided over if and how to grant citizenship to the children of immigrants, England is planning on getting rid of immigrants altogether. This is true for Italians who emigrated to the UK, but also for many other EU citizens. It seems as if this is the enormous Read More.