Increase in sex-change operations in the United States

by Angelica Basile - 2017.05.23
Increase in sex-change operations in the United States
  • Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Whatsapp
  • Print

Boom in surgery for sex change in the United States.  There were more than 3,200 operations in 2016, 19% more than the previous year.  The figures were reported by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, that has issued the first report on what are called “gender confirmation surgeries”. Or those operations that permit a person to redress dysphoria in this respect. Of these, the most called for involved breast enhancement, breast reduction and facial operations. 54% (1,759 in total) were faced by trans women, which at birth were males, while the remaining 46% by trans men. A phenomenon that can be explained by the fact that “access to treatment has permitted an increasing number of people to explore their potential in a way that was previously unthinkable, but above all many doctors now understand the needs of transsexual patients” , explained Lauren Schechter, a cosmetic surgeon.

Related:
  • Elderly lesbian Hispanic couple gets married

    The story of two elderly Hispanic lesbians who fall in love and live in an American retirement home. “Amigas With Benefits”, is the film-short, written and directed by Adelina Anthony, that tells this love story. The film won the PBS Online Film Festival. It shows how these tenacious women fight Read More.

  • Malta legalizes same-sex marriage

    The Island of Malta is the 15th country in Europe to have legalized  marriage between people of the same sex. The Parliament of this little Mediterranean state voted “yes” for the new law, with an ample majority.  Both the existing Labor party as well as the opposition contributed to this Read More.

  • Germany legalises same sex marriage

    German MPs voted by a clear majority to legalise same-sex marriage granting gay and lesbian couples full rights, including adoption. The vote passed this morning in the Bundestag by a clear majority. 393 members of parliament voted in favour of the bill, with 296 voting against and 4 abstentions. Previously, Read More.

  • 5 facts about gay marriages in the USA

    Five facts have emerged regarding gay marriages in the U.S. as reported by Pew Research Center. 1) Popular consensus over unions between two people of the same sex has continued to increase: + 8% over the last ten years. 2) Those most in favor of gay marriages are mostly young and atheists. 3) Read More.

  • Marriage among 3 men is Fake News

    Just a simple declaration of joint assets in front of a notary, not a marriage. This is the truth that unmasks the claim made in the International press of the first polyamorous marriage in the world. The trio formed by Manuel Bermudez, Víctor Hugo Prada and Alejandro Rodriguez, declared having Read More.

  • Lgbt couples in Denmark prefer church weddings

    The number of homosexual Danish couples who prefer a religious ceremony over a municipal one is growing. Since Copenhagen legalized gay marriages, in 2012, over 400 marriages among people of the same gender have been carried out by a priest in the Lutheran-Evangelical Church, the national religion.  In 2016 alone, 105 Read More.